Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
The Combustion Institute (the professional organisation for people interested in all aspects of the combustion process) - has a small headquarter in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvannia) can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The European Sections are federated and are resposible inter alia for the European Combustion Meetings. The French Groupement Français de Combustion, German, British and Italian Sections are particularly prominent.
Noteworthy Research Groups or Centres:
- Argonne's twin piston rapid compression machine; the second such (after ours!) in the world.
- Center for Combustion and Environmental Research, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Univ. Colorado at Boulder, USA.
- Center for Energy Research, Univ. of Calif. at San Diego, California, USA.
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden Department of Thermo & Fluid Dynamics.
- Clean Combustion Research Center King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
- Combustion and Reacting Flows Group at the University of California, Davis, USA.
- Combustion Byproducts&
- Modelling (Frenklach group) Laboratories, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, USA.
- Combustion & Energy school: Departments of Chemistry, Fuel & Energy and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds, England.
- Combustion Laboratory at the University of Delaware, USA.
- Combustion Laboratory, Univ. of California, Irvine, USA.
- Combustion Laboratory University of Michigan, USA.
- Combustion Research (Howard), MIT, USA.
- Combustion Research Facility at Sandia National Laboratory, Livermore, California, USA.
- Combustion Research Group, University College London, England.
- Combustion Research Group, Chemicals & Fuels Engineering Dept., Salt Lake City, Univ. of Utah, USA.
- Combustion Research Laboratory, Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland. See also: ETH Zurich
- Combustion and Chemically Reacting Flows Research and Education at USC
- Database of Combustion, University of Cottbus, Germany.
- High Temperature Gas Dynamics Laboratory (Hanson group), Stanford, Calif.
- Internal Combustion Engines Research Group, Queen's University Belfast.
- Laboratory for High Temperature Gas Kinetics at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, The Netherlands.
- Large Scale Facility, Univ. of Lund, Sweden.
- Laboratoire de Combustion et Systèmes Réactifs at the CNRS, Orléans, France.
- Laser Diagnostics and Combustion, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., USA.
- Reactive flows workgroup (Jürgen Warnatz) at the IWR, Heidelberg, Germany.
- University of California Los Angeles Combustion Research Laboratory
- University of Dayton, Shock Tube Laboratory
- Yale Center for Combustion Studies, Faculty of Engineering, Yale University, USA.
Modelling of Reaction Mechanisms
- Alexander Konnov's methane/natural gas mechanism
- Alkene oxidation mechanisms; Univ. of Delaware
- Chemkin-II manuals from Colorado State
- Chemkin-III; commercial product from Reaction Design
- JetSurF, a detailed chemical kinetic model for the combustion of jet-fuel surrogate.
- Leeds: Mechanisms and ChemKin add-ons KINALC & MECHMOD
- CKMech; a new interactive database from NIST for mechanisms targeted at fluorohydrocarbon chemistry.
- Kinetiscope; This chemical kinetics simulator is an extension and update of CKS that greatly expands its applicability and versatility. Further details on the history and the attributes of Kinetiscope are available on the Kinetiscope web site.
- Chemical Kinetic Modelling; King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia.
- Combustion Modelling; Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California, USA.
- Computer tools for combustion modelling; Département de Chimie Physique des Réactions, Nancy (also mechanisms).
- Explosion Dynamics Lab, Caltech; GRI-Mech versions 1.2, 2.11, plus others
- GRI-Mech; optimised, detailed chemical reaction mechanism for natural gas flames & ignition, devised by groups at Penn State, Stanford, UT Austin & SRI International for the Gas Research Institute.
- GasEq; extremely useful chemical equilibrium programme for MS-Windows by Chris Morley.
- Kintecus; a very powerful, and easy-to-use, modelling application by James Ianni (Excel-based).
- FlameMaster; 0D unsteady combustion configurations, and, 1D steady & unsteady premixed & diffusion flames.
- COSILAB; computation of laminar flame and flamelet problems - premixed, non-premixed, or partially premixed - with detailed chemistry or any other chemistry model.
General links: automotive, energy, etc.
- Alternative Fuel Data Center
- Clean vehicles
- Diesel, gasoline, etc. technical reviews
- Bruce Hamilton's 'FAQ: Automotive gasoline'
- Properties of advanced diesel fuels
- European Natural Gas Vehicle Association
- European Union Non-Nuclear Energy
- HySafe: International Curriculum on Hydrogen Safety Engineering
- UK Fuel consumption & emission data
- Second-hand vacuum equipment
- ILMVAC pumps
- Air Liquide: data for gases
- Intergas: specialty gases and mixtures
- Gases and Technology magazine
- Online tutorials for LaTEX. We use it for theses, reports and papers.
- Online practical help for LaTEX; the journal PracTeX.
- Photomultipliers, etc
- Emission spectra; American Institute of Physics